Director of Fundraising
Job title: Director of Fundraising
Responsible to: Chief Executive
Responsible for: Corporate Fundraising Manger, Trusts & Foundations Fundraiser
Salary: £48,655 – £ 52,607 depending upon experience
Term: Full time, 12 month fixed term contract (Potential for extension after successfully passing six-month probation)
Location: Currently home based
About Genetic Alliance UK
Genetic Alliance UK is the national charity working to improve the lives of patients and families affected by all types of genetic, rare and undiagnosed conditions. We are a membership organisation made up of over 200 patient groups and we aim to upskill our members, bring knowledge and advice, and unify their voice around key policy issues that affect the patient community. We are experts in health policy and have a team of in-house academics who conduct psychosocial and economic research into the effects of living with genetic, rare and undiagnosed conditions. We also actively support research and innovation across the field of genetic medicine, and raise awareness within the wider public. We have two long-standing projects:
Rare Disease UK is a campaign that was established to push for the creation and implementation of the UK Strategy for Rare Diseases. Rare Disease UK is also the official organiser of the international health awareness campaign, Rare Disease Day, for the UK.
SWAN UK (syndromes without a name) is the only dedicated support network in the UK for families that have a child or young adult with an undiagnosed genetic condition.
About the role
We are seeking an innovative individual with the ability and strategic vision necessary to sustainably grow our income in challenging times. We would be delighted to receive applications from strong candidates with the skills and experience to step up into senior management, as well as from those already who already have experience of working at a senior level. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate leadership in the development (and/or direct delivery) of programmes that have delivered an annual income in the excess of £500K.
Purpose of the role
- Develop and implement a robust organisational fundraising and income generation strategy.
- Support Genetic Alliance UK to maintain and develop its position as a sector leader by securing new income and developing new income streams.
- Lead and develop a motivated fundraising team. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing the remit for, and recruiting and managing, an external Trusts & Foundations Fundraiser.
- Contribute to the development of the organisation working closely with the senior management team.
Strategy and networking
- Develop a robust fundraising strategy to support the growth and development of Genetic Alliance UK.
- Raise the profile of the Genetic Alliance UK charity and identify, develop and access funding opportunities through networking and partnerships at a senior level with large corporations, public sector organisations, trusts and foundations and other organisations.
- Confidently develop and deliver high quality pitches to potential funders and supporters.
- Work closely with the Chief Executive to contribute to the development of the charity’s strategy and business plan.
- Develop organisational cases for support and engaging fundraising communications, tailored to relevant audiences.
- Work with Genetic Alliance UK staff, trustees and members to transform ideas and priorities into fundable projects and activities.
- Oversee the development and submission of clear, detailed funding applications and proposals to public, corporate, trusts and foundations.
- Develop a system for effectively and efficiently supporting any community fundraising.
Monitoring and reporting
- Work with colleagues to ensure the monitoring and evaluation of projects and activities are undertaken in accordance with funder and commissioner requirements.
- Oversee the submission of relevant reporting of outcomes to funders.
- Ensure all fundraising activities are legal and GDPR compliant.
- Provide high quality leadership to the fundraising team.
- Set clear team priorities and individual objectives in line with the charity’s strategic plan and business plan and manage staff performance against the delivery of these objectives on a regular basis.
- Inspire, motivate and enthuse staff within the team and more widely across the charity, promoting a culture of learning, professionalism and innovation, celebrating our successes and encouraging ambition and achievement.
- Any other duties as may be reasonably required.
Education and qualifications
Educated to degree level or equivalent.
Essential qualities, skills and experience
- Experience of leading a team.
- Excellent track record of achievement in setting and meeting ambitious income targets.
- Practical Experience and/or management experience of Corporate, Trust and Foundation, Major Donor and Community Fundraising.
- Expert knowledge of fundraising law, standards and best practice combined with the ability to coach and develop staff at all levels.
- Knowledge and skills in website development and social media marketing with understanding of trends in digital technology.
- Creative, innovative and enthusiastic.
- Excellent communication skills, able to network confidently at a senior level.
- Target driven with attention to detail.
- A logical and organised approach to work.
- Ability to meet agreed deadlines, prioritise workload and maximise the use of time.
- Commitment to the values and core mission of Genetic Alliance UK.
- Team based, collaborative approach.
- To be able to work occasional evenings and weekends, and longer hours as required during busier periods.
- Willing to undertake occasional travel in the UK.
Desirable skills qualities, skills and experience
- Experience of using Salesforce, Razors Edge or a similar CRM.
Please email your CV and an accompanying cover letter to Jayne Spink, [email protected]create new email, with the subject heading ‘Director of Fundraising.’ Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Application deadline: 12:00 on Friday 27 November.Please note, we will be evaluating applications as they are submitted rather than at the closing date, with first interviews taking place as soon as practicable.
Interview dates: Tbc.