Job title: Policy Analyst
Responsible to: Director of Policy
Salary: £30,874 – £32,191 depending upon experience
Term: Full time, 12 month fixed term contract (Potential for extension after successfully passing six-month probation)
Location: Currently home based, but with potential for home and office split working in the future
About Genetic Alliance UK
Genetic Alliance UK is the national charity working to improve the lives of patients and families affected by all types of genetic, rare and undiagnosed conditions. We are a membership organisation made up of over 200 patient groups and we aim to upskill our members, bring knowledge and advice, and unify their voice around key policy issues that affect the patient community. We are experts in health policy and have a team of in-house academics who conduct psychosocial and economic research into the effects of living with genetic, rare and undiagnosed conditions. We also actively support research and innovation across the field of genetic medicine, and raise awareness within the wider public. We have two long-standing projects:
Rare Disease UK is a campaign that was established to push for the creation and implementation of the UK Strategy for Rare Diseases. Rare Disease UK is also the official organiser of the international health awareness campaign, Rare Disease Day, for the UK.
SWAN UK (syndromes without a name) is the only dedicated support network in the UK for families that have a child or young adult with an undiagnosed genetic condition.
About the role
We are seeking a knowledgeable and analytical individual with the ability and skills necessary to maintain and build Genetic Alliance UK’s reputation for excellent, innovative and expert policy work. The role covers a wide-range of policy topics including genomics, UK rare disease policy, the development and regulation of innovative medicines, health technology appraisal of treatments for rare conditions, reproductive choice and much more. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a strong interest in supporting people living with genetic and rare conditions and the organisations that work for them. We would be delighted to receive applications from strong candidates with the skills and experience to deliver this important role which is central to our policy
team. The successful candidate will have already had a role in a health policy team and will be able to demonstrate strong familiarity in at least two of the key policy areas that Genetic Alliance UK works in.
Purpose of the role
- To be a policy expert in Genetic Alliance UK’s policy team, carrying out desk research and analysis and supporting staff with expert policy information where necessary.
- To work with Director of Policy and the rest of the Policy Team to deliver policy work that represents the needs of our membership.
- To collaborate with colleagues to ensure our messages are evidence-based, accurate and consistent.
- Represent Genetic Alliance UK and deliver Genetic Alliance UK’s messages at working groups, consultative events, at conferences etc.
- Work on the production of detailed policy reports where necessary.
- Contribute policy expertise to the preparation of public affairs briefings.
- Write good quality consultation responses, ensuring members of the team with appropriate expertise have the opportunity to contribute.
- Participate in activity, such as webinars, video production and face to face meetings to educate and inform our membership on policy issues.
- Coordinate the production of condition specific statements for PGD regulation by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority.
- Scan relevant organisations for opportunities to contribute to policy development (such as consultations) and to identify policy topics for Genetic Alliance UK.
- Examine specific policy topics in detail to acquire sufficient information so as to be able to perform other duties to an excellent standard.
- Organise policy team meetings.
- Advise and inform members of the team on policy issues relating to any aspect of their work.
- Work with the communications team to ensure that our communications on policy topics are accurate.
- Manage the activity of policy interns.
- Any other duties as may reasonably be required.
Education and qualifications
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- High IT literacy and proficiency in relevant applications.
Essential qualities, skills and experience
- At least two years of experience in a health or medical research orientated policy team.
- Appreciation of current issues in the rare condition and genomic healthcare policy world and their impact on patients and families.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to write clear and logical documents.
- Ability to adapt writing style for a range of audiences.
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently.
- Ability to meet agreed deadlines, prioritise workload and maximise the use of time.
- A can-do attitude to work, with enthusiasm and creativity.
- Attention to detail to all aspects of work.
- A commitment to the aims and objectives of Genetic Alliance UK.
Desirable qualities, skills and experience
- Knowledge of the NHS environment.
- Knowledge of medical genetics.
- Experience of policy work at the devolved nation and/or European level.
- Experience of the voluntary sector.
- To be able to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Willing to undertake occasional travel in the UK and Europe.
Please email your CV and an accompanying cover letter to Nick Meade at [email protected] with the subject heading ‘Policy Analyst.’ Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Closing date: 6:00pm on 2 February 2021
Invitation to interview: 5 February 2021
Interviews: 10 February 2021
Candidates invited to interview will be asked to prepare a short written exercise and a short presentation to be delivered at the interview. Interviews will be held over Zoom.
For more information about our work please visit geneticalliance.org.uk.
DOWNLOAD THIS JOB DESCRIPTION AS A PDF. FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT OUR WORK PLEASE VISIT GENETICALLIANCE.ORG.UK.